Winter is a killer when it comes to dry lips - because of central heating and general lack of moisture in the air, the skin on your lips dries a lot quicker and easier than in the summer. The situation gets even worse when you take those dry lips out for a freezing morning walk to work and you end up with not just dry but also sore, red lips.
I'm already feeling it - unless I make sure to remember and moisturise my lips, I end up with dry skin which was takes ages to get back to normal. But my friends at Burt's Bees came to the rescue this Winter and kindly sent me a few of their lip balms to keep my lips moisturised and plump! Burt's Bees are famous for their lip balms containing natural ingredients and beeswax. They come in a huge selection of flavours and some even have a slight colour tint which is perfect for a natural rosy look. I have joined the never ending list of celebrities who love Burt's Bees balms and they are a staple in not only my makeup drawer, but also in every handbag I own so I can top up on the go.
My favourites include the Revitalizing Lip Balm with Blueberry & Dark Chocolate - it's simply delicious, but please don't actually eat it. It is a revitalizing lip balm which is infused with Blueberry Seed Oil and Cocoa Powder, both known for their antioxidant properties, and conditioning Cocoa Seed Butter. The ingredients do your lips a world of good and are blended with a mixture of butters for healthy, soft looking lips.
I have a few tips for you on how to manage dry lips (years of figuring out how to battle dry lips has paid off!):
- Don't lick your lips. This will just make the dryness worse by the process of evaporation. You wet your lips, humidity is low, so the heat and the lack of moisture in the air carry off your saliva (mmm, yum!) and more moisture, which comes right out of your lips
- Don't pick off any skin from dry lips, this will only cause painful sores
- Try to not wear any lipgloss on days when it's windy - this can cause dryness
- Carry your Burt's Bees balm around with you and top up when your lips start to feel a little dry
- Slather on your lip balm in the shower/bath - your lips will soak in a lot more of the moisture
- Keep drinking that water!
- If you always experience a really vicious outbreak of dry lips every winter, invest in a humidifier. Dyson do some rocking humidifiers which also look awesome!